Mario Deluigi (De Luigi), born Treviso 1901 - died Venice 1978.
Mario Deluigi trained at Venice’s "Accademia di Belle Arti" under Ettore Tito and Virgilio Guidi.
He first exhibited his work in 1928 at the XIX Collettiva dell’Opera Bevilacqua La Masa and,
in 1930, contributed to the Venice Biennale for the first time and then the others of 1930, 1932, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1962.
Deluigi continued his deliberation on connections between space, light and colour that would become a dominant theme in his work - where light is conceived as a structural device not simply painted but created within the canvas by means of strokes cut into the surface. This technique of ‘grattage’, which already appeared well, characterises the whole of his subsequent output.